Second Spring

It is without question that I will miss these days. Simple branches sway in the sporadic wind outside my kitchen window. Little buds of pink Cherry Blossom signal Spring. Spring is one of my favorite times of year, when God reminds me of forgiveness and new life. It is not hard for me to believe that we are looking forward to our second Spring with our Row. I look forward to the rising of each morning's sun. In the glowing light of his bedroom, I will find him waiting in great anticipation of my arrival. He is happy and eager to greet each day. Every morning I hear him over the monitor in the sweetest, angelic voice identifying all the contents of his room. Often I just lay and listen to the purity of his voice. What innocence and joy. Every day the graciousness of Christ is displayed through the simplicity of this child. What a gift and what a life! He is curious and energetic. He loves without reservation. There are very few details that miss his eye. And what beautiful eyes they are. Clear and blue. I see the ocean when I look at him and it is a perfect metaphor for his life. An endless horizon for the future, purity in his innocence, inviting like his personality, dancing like his curiosity, beautiful like his soul. He is 100% boy. He likes sticks, trucks, trains, running and yelling. He likes ice cream and Elmo, Mickey Mouse and bananas. He is loving and smart and the brightest spot in each day. This morning traveling home from church, I looked in the rearview mirror and saw him at age 7. I heard his voice and it was not as light and airy. He was energetic and engaged with a tossled mop of blonde hair. When I blinked I saw my little boy again, porcelain skin and perfect rosy lips. It was God's way of reminding me to be in this moment and every other simple moment to come.

Comments